1. Order your free credit report (1 free from each credit bureau every 12 months) from www.annualcreditreport.com and dispute any errors you find.
2. Clear up any accounts in collections (provided the statute of limitations hasn’t passed).
3. Pay all bills on time always!
4. Don't max out your credit cards - keep usage at or below 30% of your credit limit.
5. Ask lenders that you use what credit reporting agencies, if any, that they report to.
6. Open a secured credit card or credit builder loan if necessary.
7. Don’t apply for new credit every time a retailer asks you if you want to save money on your purchase by doing so.
8. Don’t close old accounts if your credit history is not that deep.
9. Contact your creditors at the first sign of trouble. It’s in their interest to work with you.
10. Be patient. It can takes months for your score to improve.
blog comments powered by Disqus